Ukrainian Collection of Microorganisms (UCM) is founded in Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology of the National Academy of Science of Ukraine which is one of the oldest microbiological national institutions. The collection supports bacterial, mollicute, microscopic fungi and yeasts strains isolated from different sources, typical, referent, industrial and patent strains.
A branch of UCM is a collection of motile bacteria in Mechnikov Odessa State University. Since the publication of the first edition, the UCM catalog has undergone several changes. Thanks to taxonomic and systematic innovations the constant audit of supported strains and renewal of the collection by new strains, including those species that were not represented in the first edition, are carrying out.
UCM conducts research on the ecology, taxonomy and diagnostic of the following genera: Bacillus, Pseudomonas, Comamonas, Stenotrophomonas, Burkholderia, Gram-positive catalase-positive cocci of Micrococcus, Kocuria, Staphylococcus genera, sliding bacteria of Cytophagales Myxococcales genera, including marine microorganisms, lactic acid, methylotrophic, nitrogen-fixing and pathogenic bacteria, nokardia-shaped and coryne-shaped bacteria of Rhodococcus, Gordonia, Brevibacterium, Corynebacterium genera, Streptomyces, mollicutes, microscopic fungi and yeast. Considerable attention is paid to the microorganism producing biologically active compounds, their selection and use in various areas of biotechnology.
The UCM catalog includes strains, reflecting the diversity of microbial funds of greatest fundamental and applied interest. Materials of the catalog meet the requirements of the World Organization for Culture Collections. Institute of Microbiology and Virology established Culture Depository that carries out depositing of non-pathogenic microorganisms by resolution of the Government of Ukraine from 12.10.1994.
Download the book of Ukrainian Collection of Microorganisms (pdf file in Russian)
The most important UCM functions are:
- Replenishment, maintenance and examination of authentic strains of bacteria mollicute, actinomycetes, yeast and microscopic fungi perspective for microbiology, biotechnology, education, and various areas of fundamental and applied research
- Issuance of strains to interested individuals and organizations for research, industrial purposes and for training in accordance with national legislation and international rules.
- Deposition of microbial strains in the following cases:
- the strain or method of its use will be applid for a patent of Ukraine;
- the strain is intended for use in industry, medicine, agriculture, environmental protection, and other areas.
Collection provides the following services:
- Guaranteed strain storage during 1 year or more;
- Lyophilization of microorganisms (10 vials or more);
- Screening of microorganisms for the given properties;
- Verifying producing activity of strains;
- Identification of microorganisms and examination of their properties;
- Assurance nonpathogenic strain properties and issuance certificates for depositing;
- Consultation on methods of storage, research, and identification of microorganisms;
- Providing information about UCM.