Founded in 1930 as the library of the Institute of Microbiology and Epidemiology of the All-Ukrainian Academy of Sciences, from 1936 – the library of Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Epidemiology, from 1944 – the library of Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology, from 1978 – the library of Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology awarded with the Order of the Red Banner of Labour; and since 1994, the library bears its contemporary name.
Academician Danylo Zabolotny, the first Director of the Institute, to whom the Library owes its emergence. Upon returning to Ukraine in 1928, D. Zabolotny was elected the President of the All-Ukrainian Academy of Science. It was then that he could accomplish his cherished dream to open an institute of microbiology and epidemiology in Kyiv. From the very beginning, he provided a scientific library in the Institute’s structure. So, financial documents on assignment of means and even hard currency assignments for acquisition of books for the library appeared. After D. Zabolotny’s death, the Kyiv part of his personal library became the base of the Institute’s scientific library founded in 1930. Its first head was V. Schultz.
At the end of the 1950’s, D. Zabolotny’s personal books were systematized and reclassified into a separate holding; a special rubricated card index was formed to reflect the multilateral character of its previous owner’s interests. Since its foundation, the Library has been located in a big nice hall at 28, Velyka Zhytomyrska Street, Kyiv. In 1964, the Library together with the Institute moved into a new edifice at 26 (now 154), Academician Zabolotny Street. The Library greets its readers in two spacious reading rooms accommodating 36 visitors with an Internet-connected PC. It also has two book depositories and a room for the book release. The Library’s main functions are qualified librarianship for the Institute’s staff, and scientists, PhD students, specialists in microbiology, virology, biotechnology, agriculture, etc.; informing of its new arrivals; thematic book selections; bibliographical references; information support of the science; assistance to PhD students, etc.
The library holds 119,305 units in Ukrainian, Russian, English, German, French, Polish, Czech, and other foreign languages, including 30,000 books (among them 2,700 printed abroad) and 87,912 periodicals (among them – 33,920 – foreign journals and magazines). Guidelines and practical manuals number 6,150 copies. There also is a holding of dissertations and author’s abstracts. The Library’s main subject areas are as follows: general, industrial, agricultural, soil, medical microbiology; virology; viral plant diseasesm, biotechnology, genetics etc. and an exchange stock of the Institute’s in-house publications.
The reference and bibliographical literature consists of catalogues (alphabetical and systematic) of the main holdings; of dissertations, author’s abstracts, of D. Zabolotny’s personal library and card index, including The Institute’s History (since 1940), The Works of the Scientists of the Institute (since 1932), etc. Among the Library’s valuable possessions, one should mention the Vrach (The Physician) weekly (1891 – 1900); Russkiy Vrach (The Russian Physician) (1902 – 1917); Bolnichnaya Gazeta Botkina (Dr Botkin’s Hospital Paper) (1900 – 1903); the Archive of Biological Sciences (1906 – 1939); Annales de l`Institut Pasteur (1892 – 1969), and Journal of Bacteriology (since 1916).
The Library can boast of a full set of the Microbiological Journal issued by the Institute since 1934. The Library’s personnel consist of three specialists. The Library’s holdings are used not only by the Institute’s scientists, but by university students and members of the Biological Section of the Small Academy of Sciences. The Library renders the following services: document copying, postal sending of literature through interlibrary loan, regular organization of book exhibitions, and exhibitions dedicated to jubilees and important dates in the life of the Institute and Ukraine on the whole.